LOCAL PRINTING (LPRINT) UNDER XENIX - NEED HELP!

Raulin Olivera raulin at tdl.UUCP
Fri May 19 00:45:05 AEST 1989

In article <2446 at rencon.UUCP>, gary at rencon.UUCP (Gary Falsken) writes:
> I have 5 modem lines coming into my 386 system with users calling in from
> other locations using MS-DOS based equipment and Procomm Plus as the
> terminal emulator.  These users want to be able to print files out on their
> local printers.  SCO says I should use a program called lprint.  I looked
> up the command in the xenix manual and it says I need to generate termcap
> entries for any of the terminals that have local printers. OK. Has anyone
> already done this for ansi, vt52, vt100, vt102 termcaps?  I want/need to
> talk to someone who has either used lprint or can tell me how to do it.
> Can it/Does it really work as advertised?  What about compressed print
> and the like?  Please email me!  Thanks!
> --
> Gary Falsken
> internet: gary at rencon
> usenet: {ames,pacbell,sun,pyramid,hpscdc,hplabs}!rencon!gary
>          ---- is the preferred path.

I can't really add a solution to this problem.  I hope someone on the
net can.  I am using Procomm with a hardwire connect and would like to
do the same thing.  Lprint didn't tell me much.  I imagine that you
can write your own interface script to send whatever codes necessary
to get remote printing to work.  The problem as I see it is that any
codes sent will be intercepted by Procomm while in terminal mode.  I
don't know of any way to wake Procomm up in command mode so that you
can tell it to send output to lpt? or com? without some keyboard
interaction.  You can always do the "Alt L" and cat the file to the
screen but that has some limitations.  SCO published an article in
their May/June 88 Discover magazine about remote printing through
a terminal.  The problem is that this method was designed for
terminals with 2 ports.  The codes are intercepted by the terminal
which turn on the auxillary port (which is connected to a printer)
and sends data through it.

Let me know what you find out.  I suppose that I will see any more

=Ralo->

interaction.