SCO Unix 3.2 <-?-> comp.unix.xenix

Ed Hew edhew at egvideo.UUCP
Sun May 28 14:00:00 AEST 1989

In article <18698 at cup.portal.com> Dion_L_Johnson at cup.portal.com writes:
>Frank Bicknell writes:
>>What's to become of this newsgroup when SCO xenix becomes SCO
>>unix?  I realize that it's strictly a formality, but it seems
>>that most of the traffic here is SCO-xenix based.
>
>It's not just a formality.  SCO UNIX is not just another version
>of XENIX - it's a major change, on a new porting base.
>XENIX will be around for a while (especially for 286 machines)

It's quite likely that SCO Xenix will be around (286/386) for quite a
while.  SCO Xenix is an optimized product that runs very well and very
*fast* (comparatively speaking) on intel architecture and is ideal for
sites with limited resources.  I don't see this changing in the short term.

On the other hand, SCO UNIX appears to be directed towards sites which
require AT&T based UNIX, full binary portability, C2 level audit security,
and lots more (my binders are overflowing!).  That being the case it's
somewhat larger than Xenix and consumes resources accordingly.  Simply put:
you get a lot, but you need more resources to support it to the same
performance level, especially if you're running audit.  Considering how
much more is in it, it's amazing that it runs comparative to Xenix speed
at all.  Good job, SCO!

We have two very good products here, but they're directed towards different
markets ("authorized comments" are welcome).

>and it may be sensible to create a new newsgroup for the
>new product.  comp.unix.sco-unix ?

That may prove to be a most valid suggestion, come release-date.

		--ed		{edhew at egvideo.uucp}

>Dion L. Johnson

  Ed. A. Hew            Technical Trainer              Xeni/Con Corporation
  work:  edhew at xenicon.uucp	 -or-	 ..!{uunet!}utai!lsuc!xenicon!edhew
  home:	 edhew at egvideo.uucp	 -or-	   ..!{uunet!}watmath!egvideo!edhew
  # I haven't lost my mind, it's backed up on floppy around here somewhere!