"ps: seek error" - What does it mean?

Peter Brouwer pb at idca.tds.PHILIPS.nl
Tue May 16 18:25:28 AEST 1989

In article <ADNAN.89May15155425 at sgtech.UUCP> adnan at sgtech.UUCP (Adnan Yaqub) writes:
>Our Intel 386 box with Xenix 2.3.1 has a problem, and it is probably
>one we have inflicted on ourselves.  After the system is rebooted and
>weeds.  Maybe somebody could tell me what seeks ps does.
Ps seeks to data structures in /unix file ( memory ). It reads data from
for instance the user structure of each process that is running.
This is done in a loop. If during this loop execution the process for which
info is looked up dies, the data structures are not there any more. This
causes the seek errors.
I think this is also mentioned in the manual ( System administrators reference
manual, topic Warning)

--
#  Peter Brouwer,                     ##
#  Philips TDS, Dept SSP-V2           ## voice +31 55 432523
#  7300 AE Apeldoorn, The Netherlands ## Internet pb at idca.tds.philips.nl