"ps: seek error" - What does it mean?

Adnan Yaqub adnan at sgtech.UUCP
Tue May 16 00:54:25 AEST 1989

Our Intel 386 box with Xenix 2.3.1 has a problem, and it is probably
one we have inflicted on ourselves.  After the system is rebooted and
has been running for a while (hours, not days), the ps command stops
working.  For diagnostics, it says
	ps: seek error
Usually I get a few lines of status before it dies.  I believe the
problem is caused by a bug in an in-house terminal driver.  If I could
find out why ps's seek is failing, I may be able to fix the driver.
However, we don't have source code for ps, so I have no idea what in
the process table is sending lseek (I assume it is lseek) off into the
weeds.  Maybe somebody could tell me what seeks ps does.

Thanks,
--
Adnan Yaqub
Star Gate Technologies, 29300 Aurora Rd., Solon, OH, USA, +1 216 349 1860