terminal connections to multiport boards at 19.2Kb

Bill Vermillion bill at bilver.UUCP
Mon May 15 01:14:58 AEST 1989

In article <1047 at ittg.UUCP> pete at ittg.UUCP (System Administrator @ 207-796-2301) writes:
>In article <1181 at sbee.sunysb.edu> mhlevy at sbee.sunysb.edu (Mark Levy) writes:
>>
>>   When I try to use terminals connected to a computone board at 19.2Kb,
>>they just won't work.  I use a correct entry in /etc/ttys and /etc/ttytypes.
>>I disable and then re-enable the port.  It doesn't want to work.  Could it
>>be my cable? My boss is a messy-dos salesman ( he refuses to believe that
>>some hardware refuses to work with XENIX.  He also thinks that VP/ix was
>>developed to be a multiuser dos system, but that's another story.) and insists
>>on the cheapest hardware.  The cable is only 3 conductor.  Could that be the
>>problem?  The board should be able to handle 19.2.

Check your directory under root called atx, and see what your attype settings
are.   If I remember correctly the /etc files handle cases that aren't set up
under atx.

Get some "real" signals going to the terminals.  I have never used only 3 in
Computone installations, and I suspect your system never knows a terminal is
on-line.  (It's Sunday and I don't have the Computone manuals at home -
otherwise I could help you.)

As to VPIX it can be good or bad depending on what you need to do.  It will
tend (:-)) to slow the system down.  You need 1 MEG of memory for each VPIX
user OVER AND ABOVE what you need for Xenix.   From what I have seen of VPIX,
you ought to start with at least 6 MEGS, unless it is only a 1 or 2 user
system.

I have been running 38k on the board.

bill

>"Makes it tough for all o' us ignorant people out here ta help ya" ;-)
>
>Do you get the drift?  By the time we bat the questions back and forth
>three-to-ten times (read lots and lots of $$$$), you should have been able
>to solve the problem.

Pete's right there.  And from your comments about your "boss" I don't know if
you will get the problem solved.  From experience - with people who insisited
on get the cheapest - it costs MORE in the long run.

I did some work for a local school system.  Low bid got the hardware.  Enough
problems with "flaky" hardware that it took two days to get the system up.
And over the course of a year had the h/d replaced, the m/b replace within the
first week, and a lot of gried occured along the way.  With lost time and my
time it cost them about $700-$1000 more by buying "low bid" instead of buying
the machine that cost $500 more.

Next machine was a known brand, no "clone" material in sight.  Had it up and
running under 8 users within 4 hours after opening the box.  Your boss won't
like that, I'd bet.

--
Bill Vermillion - bill at bilver.UUCP