AT&T Driver Development Guides... The Saga Continues. (Long)

Adnan Yaqub adnan at sgtech.UUCP
Tue May 16 18:12:03 AEST 1989

A while ago (beginning of April `89), Steve Nuchia asked about books
describing UNIX line disciplines to which Paul Hite responded with:

    Well Steve, I'll bet you've overlooked a book or two.  I  have the
    following two books which I obtained from AT&T:

    UNIX System V, Release 3 Block and Character Interface (BCI)  Driver
    Development Guide  (select code 307-191)

    and its companion:

    UNIX System V, Release 3 Block and Character Interface (BCI)  Driver
    Reference Manual  (select code 307-192)

    Both books are 8.5 by 11.  Together they are bigger than most phone books.
    They are pricey (about $150 for the pair as I remember) but they are worth
    it.

Steve Nuchia was unimpressed, and responded as follows:

    Eleven pages on line disciplines in a $75 book.  Wow.

    Seriously, thanks for the pointer.  AT+T seems determined to
    make their documentation just like every other vendor's; I suppose
    it is futile to resist.

    (Just like == massive, expensive, unstable, and inscrutible, in case
    that was too subtle for the lurkers.)

I, however, was willing to take whatever help I could get and called
up AT&T to try and order a pair.  They politely informed me that the
books were not yet available and that they didn't even have the price
for them in the computer.  They said to call back in May.  I then
posted a message asking Mr. Hite to divulge where he got his copies,
to which there was no response.

Now it is May, and I have again called AT&T.  The books are available,
and they cost US $200 and US $150 respectively!  (It seems Steve's
above response was prophetic, at least in terms of cost.)  Now my
question to Mr Hite is where he got his books for only US $75 each?

(For those with deep pockets, the books can be order from AT&T by
calling (800) 432-6600 or by sending a purchase order to AT&T, P.O.
Box 19901, Indianapolis, IN 46219.)
--
Adnan Yaqub
Star Gate Technologies, 29300 Aurora Rd., Solon, OH, USA, +1 216 349 1860