SCO Support

Woodrow Baker woody at rpp386.cactus.org
Wed Nov 22 00:10:31 AEST 1989

In article <3 at pcgbase.UUCP>, jep at pcgbase.UUCP (jep) writes:

> I would like to say thanks and give credit where credit is due!!!  This is
> for the professional level of support from the people at SCO.
>
> Recently I was prepared to do an update at one of my clients from Xenix
> 2.3.1 to 2.3.2.  Unfortunately because CORE, Int. did not have their drivers
> ready I couldn't.
>
> Two days later, I was at another client's office about two hundred miles
> away and the first client had to reset their computer.  Consequently one of
> the file systems was corrupted and would not mount.  After repeated
> tries to "fsck" the file system from my remote location, I called SCO.
> The first response was that there was a problem with "fsck" in 2.3.1 but
> it was fixed with 2.3.2.  GREAT!  I was just there but could not install 2.3.2.
> Then the technician reminded me of the SCO offering of patches available
> through uucp.
>
> To make a long story short because of the professional support SCO offers,
> I was able to download the patch from SCO.  Next I uploaded the patch to
> my first client and rebuilt the file system.  In about one hour the whole
> problem was fixed.  I sat back and laughed as I thought, "what if that had
> been a MS-DOS installation?"
>
> Keep up the good work SCO!
> --
> John E. Phillips (904)672-3856
> Phillips Consulting Group, Inc.
> 24 Chippingwood Lane  Ormond Beach, FL 32176
> uunet!pcgbase!jep   attmail!pcgbase!jep    Easylink 62909663

If that were MS-DOS, you probably could have accomplished the same thing
nearly as quickly.  Any MS-DOS consultant worth his salt would have NORTON
around.  Sounds like the client had a modem.  If it were a MS-DOS setup
the consultant would most probably have placed a copy of PROCOMM on the client
computer (or had them purchase it). At that point, you can have client go to
remote host, and call in.  While you can't run NORTON remotely, you could
at least work with the system remotely, and perhaps dump Spinrite down and
have the client follow directions.  I have had to deal with things in this
manner before, and it is not to painful....

cheers

Woody Baker