IBM 8507 monochrome vga monitor

Phil Ngai phil at diablo.amd.com
Sat Nov 11 05:03:32 AEST 1989

In article <362 at mlfarm.UUCP> ron at mlfarm.UUCP (Ronald Florence) writes:
|I would welcome comments or reports on experience with the IBM 8507
|monochrome vga monitor.  According to IBM's literature, the 8507
|display measures 19 inches diagonally, and is capable of 1024x768
|addressability with the 8514A graphics adapter, as well as the usual
|720x400 (text) and 640x480 (graphics) vga modes.

I talked to a dealer who advertised it. He said they were no longer
recommending it for the 1024x768 mode. Their suggested use was "for
teaching purposes" where you want a large screen so more people can
see it, not where a large screen is expected to provide high
resolution to one person. They were asking around $800 for it.  I
complained about the large gap in the market for high resolution 16-19
inch monochrome super VGA monitors and they said early next year some
new products would be coming out.

I haven't personally seen it but would like to some day.

There's a company called Sampo in Atlanta which has a 20-inch
monochrome 256 shades of gray 1280x960 list price $1,149. I've asked
for literature. See the current Computer Shopper for an article.

--
Phil Ngai, phil at diablo.amd.com		{uunet,decwrl,ucbvax}!amdcad!phil
Come witness the failure of democracy in California!