IBM 8507 monochrome vga monitor

Steve Dyer dyer at spdcc.COM
Mon Nov 13 12:11:17 AEST 1989

In article <362 at mlfarm.UUCP> ron at mlfarm.UUCP (Ronald Florence) writes:
>I would welcome comments or reports on experience with the IBM 8507
>monochrome vga monitor.
>Ultimately, I'd like to use something like this in the higher
>resolution for X-windows under Xenix or SCO Unix, if appropriate
>drivers become available.  So far, I've never even seen the 8507.

We use it under AIX PS/2 1.1, running X Windows, along with the 8514A
display adapter.  Although the "set monitor type" boot prompt of AIX PS/2
has a choice for the 8507, X11 actually doesn't run correctly unless you
set it to 8514 (the 16" color display with the same resolution.)
Once that is set, X11 seems to work just fine with either monitor.
I imagine, like the color 8514, that the 1028x768 display is interlaced.
However, I don't seem to be sensitive to flicker.

It may be (though I'm not sure) that SCO's support for the 8514/8514A
combination would work fine with an 8507/8514A.  Perhaps someone at
SCO can confirm or deny this.

--
Steve Dyer
dyer at ursa-major.spdcc.com aka {ima,harvard,rayssd,linus,m2c}!spdcc!dyer