SCO Support

Andrew P. Mullhaupt amull at Morgan.COM
Thu Nov 30 15:44:25 AEST 1989

> Andrew,
>
> Lighten up!   I too can say that I have *never* had a problem with
> media from SCO.  I can't say "I've been computing for over twenty
> years etc...", but then who cares how long you've been computing.
> You probably have an Epson LQ-2550 that you set your disk on just
> before inserting them into the drive.  You know, the Epson with the
> magnet switches that sense "CASE OPEN".

No, I have a Lan running OS/2 and Dos on which I print remotely.
(Very remotely...)
Also, It is an HP-DeskJet. I am well aware of what can happen to
improperly stored or handled disks. I will be swapping them for a
new set, but consider: I got the OS set BEFORE the earthquake, and
the Development system was delayed by it. They have different batch
numbers on them. Both sets have the same problem. I have since this
come to the conclusion that my 'value-added' reseller must have
stored these disks or shipped them inappropriately. How they could
have been damaged is hard to imagine: the symptom is that when
attempting to read the media, UNIX reports 'Error: Disk not in Drive'
but repeated attempts to read, followed by tapping the diskette
gently on a hard surface (as per RTFM), eventually succeed. Thus
installation takes many hours; on the other hand, no data seems to
have been lost.

Having spent sixteen hours at one stretch trying to install UNIX
is what makes it a bit difficult to enjoy the RTFM style suggestions
received so far. SCO has already laid most of these on me, and even
though I was certain hardware was not at fault, I employed every
one in good faith, even consulting Northgate Technical Service as
to the exact  specifications of the diskette drives. It was funny
for the first 40 hours. At this point I'm sorry I even brought it
up. For anyone else who wants to explain demagnetization hazards
to me; consider the following fact:

Reading the diskettes under DOS and OS/2 (on the same hardware)
NEVER (REPEAT NEVER) gives this symptom.

Later,
Andrew Mullhaupt