SCO Xenix VP/IX problem

Bruce A. McIntyre bruce at mdi386.UUCP
Fri Nov 24 02:10:41 AEST 1989

In article <330 at usource.SARASOTA.FL.US>, frankb at usource.SARASOTA.FL.US (Frank Bicknell) writes:
> In article <115 at embassy.UUCP> lance at embassy.UUCP (Lance N. Antrim) writes:
> > Has anyone succeeded in running WP 5.0 under VP/ix?  If so, did
> > you have to do anything  beyond the normal installation to get it
> > running?
> I'm not familiar with WP, but is it possible they've used '286
> code therein?  VP/ix only emulates 8086, right?  Windows '[23]86
> won't run for that reason, which leaves out things like Excel.

I have run Samna AMI, which is a Windows based WP under XENIX386 2.2.3, and
it works fine.  In fact, it is much faster than on my 10mhz 80286 machine.

(I think the disk cache makes the difference).  I have also run WP5.0 under
Xenix.  To do this, I had to put WP on the DOS partition, and it would
then work.  It seems that WP MUST run on a DOS filesystem, not an emulated
DOS filesystem.  I set this up as "D:" drive, cd to D, and then run WP.

I don't know that I am doing anything else special.. Oh Yeh, I had to chown
the DOS partition to the group that runs VPIX, and chmod the DOS partition
to rwx for group.

bruce