lock up with XENIX

don kossman don at dksfr.UUCP
Fri Nov 24 08:49:00 AEST 1989

In article <5478 at cps3xx.UUCP> usenet at cps3xx.UUCP (Usenet file owner) writes:
>From article <118 at quame.UUCP>, by bryan at quame.UUCP (Bryan A. Woodruff):
>> In article <180 at mdi386.UUCP>, bruce at mdi386.UUCP (Bruce A. McIntyre) writes:
>>> I am running into a problem with a client, and want to know if anyone
>>> on the net may have a suggestion..
>>> The problem is that at sporadic times, the system just locks up solid.
>Alot of PC keyboards have a switch on the bottom to select it as a XT
>or an AT style keyboard. I've seen machine lock up under DOS or XENIX
>sometimes if this switch changes settings while the machine is running.
(etc)

i have a similar problem on an ALR 386/220 running xenix 2.2.1.  1M ram,
65M Microscience RLL drive w/Adaptec 2370A.

symptom is that the system "locks up" occasionally.  it seems to
happen most when i switch to another multiscreen and log in.  but
it also happens at other times.  all multiscreens go dead- no response
to keyboard input.  don't have any users on ports so don't know if
they're dead too.

A "solution" turned out to be:  unplug the keyboard from the computer.
plug it back in.  repeat a few times while hammering on the keys, especially
on the return key.  at some point during this procedure the system
speaker will emit a LONG beep as the keyboard connector is plugged back
in.  at that point the problem is solved, and the system will respond
as though nothing has happened.

there is apparently a REAL FIX to my problem (which may NOT be the same
as your problem).  it involves having a copy of adbL and patching
the kernel.  i have somehow lost the information (it appeared quite
a while ago in this newsgroup) and furthermore do not have adbL.
SCO knows about the problem, i believe it is officially called the
"keyboard lockup problem".  call them and ask.  let us know what you
find out... (i can't afford SCO tech support).

don
Don Kossman, SEI Information Technology, Los Angeles
mahendo.jpl.nasa.gov!jplgodo!seila!don OR sun!suntzu!seila!don