SCO Xenix, fork - "too many files"?

Conor P. Cahill cpcahil at virtech.uucp
Tue Nov 21 12:27:57 AEST 1989

In article <248 at melpar.UUCP>, toppin at melpar.UUCP (Doug Toppin) writes:
> We are running SCO Xenix 2.2 on the 286.

  [ description of problem with forking deleted]

> On the second process started, the fork fails with the error "too many files".

By "too many files" I presume you mean "too many open files" as in

	#define	EMFILE	24	/* Too many open files			*/

>From the fork(s) man page:

	fork will fail....

		The shared memory table overflows [EMFILE].

> Configure says these are set:
> NINODE=200, NFILE=200, NMOUNT=1, NFLOCKS=1, NPROC=60, MAXUPRC=30, NTEXT=60

None of these configuration parameters should have any effect on this problem.
I would suggest reviewing your /usr/sys/conf/master file to see which shared
memory variables you need to change.  I don't know the correct one off the
top of my head,