Radical and foolish hardware experiments... HELP!

David H Close compata at cup.portal.com
Tue Nov 21 16:19:08 AEST 1989

Eisen D. Guard: eisen at contact.uucp  (Martin Loeffler)  writes:

"3) Both the Maxtor and the Miniscribe are rated at 1024 cyls x 8 heads x 17
tracks. However, one clamis to be 71 meg, the other 85. An ideas? I don't have
any manuals for either, so there may be a possibility that the maxtor has more
heads/cyls. If anyone has a largish maxtor (sorry the model number is inside
the case and I don't want to rip it apart right now.. if you ask, I'll open it
though) can they let me know if they think my specs are wrong? It's an external
drive in a case about twice as long as it is high/wide (full height device). It
comes with it's own fan and power supply."

The Maxtor (probably the 1085) is 85 MB _unformatted_, only about 71 (or 72)
formatted.  Why can't there be some truth in disk drive advertising?

Dave Close, Compata, Arlington, Texas
compata at cup.portal.com