Radical and foolish hardware experiments... HELP!

Wm E Davidsen Jr davidsen at crdos1.crd.ge.COM
Wed Nov 22 02:14:09 AEST 1989

In article <24304 at cup.portal.com> compata at cup.portal.com (David H Close) writes:

| The Maxtor (probably the 1085) is 85 MB _unformatted_, only about 71 (or 72)
| formatted.  Why can't there be some truth in disk drive advertising?

  It's not a question of truth, just incomplete information. I realize
that MS-DOS is very important to some people, but the common controller
chips support sector sizes other than 512, and therefore some users are
interested in knowing the unformatted capacity. The typical ST506 drive
will give 17 sectors at 512 bytes, and 9 at 1024. For 8 heads and 1024
cylinders that's another 4MB more or less.
--
bill davidsen	(davidsen at crdos1.crd.GE.COM -or- uunet!crdgw1!crdos1!davidsen)
that the world is flat!" - anon