80x43

Stuart Lynne sl at van-bc.UUCP
Mon Nov 20 20:50:23 AEST 1989

In article <11256 at dasys1.UUCP> jpr at dasys1.UUCP (Jean-Pierre Radley) writes:
}In article <57 at van-bc.UUCP> sl at van-bc.UUCP (Stuart Lynne) writes:
}>Has anyone managed to get vi to run with an 80x43 sized display (vidi
}>e80x43)?
}
}No big deal, Stuart, as long as you've redefined your TERM environment
}variable, and made a corresponding /etc/termcap entry. In my case, I
}ususally run in  80x25 mode as "ansic" -- ansi terminal with color
}capabilities.
}So when I want to use vidi to get 43 line mode, I reset TERM to be
}"ansic43", which in /etc/termcap, shows:
}
}	ansic43:li#43:tc=ansic

This did the trick of course. I'll never admit why it didn't work when I
tried it (blush ;-)

}>Also, what do you have to do to run in 80x43 in all multi screens? After a
}>couple of screens have switched vidi returns a message "vidi: Not enough
}>space".
}I also find that I can only get two of these 43-liners running in SCO 2.3
}before I run up against the same limit you found. Somewhere, SCO set some
}limit, and I wish I knew where it was.

Run /usr/sys/conf/configure and setup the amount of memory for screen saves.
At 128k I could run vidi e80x43 on all 12 multiscreens. This was an
empirical test, a slightly smaller amount might do the trick (96kb was ok
for 9).

Finally questions: Does anyone know if it's possible to get the system to
come up in this mode? (Currently I'm doing vidi e80x43 in .login, there
should be a better way.)

Also mention is made of supporting 16 multiscreens. When I tried it I ended
up with only two working screens.

--
Stuart.Lynne at wimsey.bc.ca ubc-cs!van-bc!sl 604-937-7532(voice) 604-939-4768(fax)