80x43

Wm E Davidsen Jr davidsen at crdos1.crd.ge.COM
Wed Nov 22 07:44:00 AEST 1989

In article <1989Nov21.022428.28349 at contact.uucp> eisen at contact.UUCP (Martin Loeffler) writes:
| In a slightly related circumstance... My VGA card has built-in modes of
| operation (ie. 132x60 mode. Tiny, but visible). Does Xenix have any facility to
| access these modes, or is it totally dependant on it's own screen fonts?

  As far as I know the current release doesn't support these modes. I'm
not sure about the 132 col modes (my IBM book has been borrowed) but the
true IBM will support 50 line mode, so there's no reason not to support
that. And for running X, the stock card will go to 360x480x256, and
800x600x16, so those modes could (and should) be offered.

  The code to do this is in the fractint v10.0 source, available from
simtel20 and permitted to use. This could be added quite easily, since
the code to change modes is already in the vidi command, and I *hope*
it's all table driven. I use 43 lines mode a bit, but the 60 line mode
may actually be easier to read, it seems to have one extra blank line
between lines, for easier reading.
--
bill davidsen	(davidsen at crdos1.crd.GE.COM -or- uunet!crdgw1!crdos1!davidsen)
that the world is flat!" - anon