Unix 3.2 woes (somewhat longish)

Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX caf at omen.UUCP
Tue Nov 28 00:52:39 AEST 1989

There has been only one 3.2 C compiler release that I know of,
and it contains /usr/include/sys files that disagree with the
newer kernel revisions.  The only workaround I have come up with
is to install as little of 3.2 as possible, then the compiler,
then link kit, UFA, etc.  You'll also need three 3.2.1 link kit
disks that just tar in after the rest and then you might be able
to get merge to install and work.  I don't use merge myself
because it bollixes my multiport serial board. VP/ix is fine.

The Xsight development sys doesn't install or custom, it just
tar's.  You need some compile tricks such as the Makefile:

#just a quickie hack to get xgif to compile

CFLAGS= -Osal -DNOT_VMS_V1 -DWTUNIX -DUNIX -Dunix -DSYSV

xgif: xgif.o xgifload.o
	cc $(CFLAGS) xgif.o xgifload.o -lm -lX -lsocket -o xgif

gif: gif.o
	cc $(CFLAGS) gif.o -ltlisock -lXm -ltlisock -lXt -ltlisock -lX -lsocket -lm -o gif

The latest Xsight run-time (Nov 4) is pretty decent.