SCO 2 Harddisk controllers

Jonathan Bayer jbayer at ispi.UUCP
Mon Oct 2 00:08:55 AEST 1989

mark at promark.UUCP (Mark J. DeFilippis) writes:

>I tried to get the two controllers working, and I did, somewhat.
>The two controllers are a WD-1006-WAH and a WD-1006VMM1.  The 10006VMM1
>is the one I am running int. 14, standard address, and works fine.
>The WD-1006WAH is the one I did the mod on for int. 14, and address change

>0x170.  On boot the second controller shows up at its proper address,

>Western Digitals Guru's said it may be the Miniscribe drive going to sleep
>when it is not selected, and to change the jumpers to disable autopark.
>The only jumber on the drive is drive select, and besides the heads are not

>I ordered an Adaptec ACB2310 whih allows jumper controlled interrupt and
>address modifications to replace the 1006-WAH in an attempt to rectify the
>problem, but I am just stabbing in the dark.

I did essentially the same thing, although I modified a 1006V-MM1 for the
alternate interrupt and address.  I tried it with a Seagate 4051 (40 meg drive)
and had the identical problem.  I think that there is something in the
controller card (my guess only) that may be dying.  I did notice that
when the system died the drive hooked up to the second card was
permenantly selected (I had the drive led on the computer hooked up to
the second controller card, and it went on and stayed on.)  My feeling
is that this seemed to occur during periods of heavy io.

If the Adaptec card works could you let me know?

JB
--
Jonathan Bayer		Intelligent Software Products, Inc.
(201) 245-5922		500 Oakwood Ave.