RFC822 Standard Mail

Raymond Curci curci at vsserv.scri.fsu.edu
Mon Oct 2 01:22:55 AEST 1989

In article <4982 at uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu> bt455s39 at uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Carmen Hardina) writes:
>I am running SCO XENIX 386 2.3.1 and would like to exchange mail with
>an Internet host which runs 4.3-BSD/sendmail.  Could someone please
>tell me which packages/versions would allow me to exchange RFC822
>standard mail (domain-style addressing) with them?  ...
>Carmen Hardina, Assistant System Administrator
>INET: islenet!manapua!carmen at uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu
>UUCP: {uunet,ucbvax,dcdwest}!ucsd!nosc!uhccux!islenet!manapua!carmen

I am unclear whether you want to address mail using the domain name
system and have it leave your machine via uucp, or whether your system
is on an ethernet LAN connected to the internet and you want to use
SENDMAIL to communicate with BSD 4.3 systems via SMTP.

If you want to use UUCP, there are two programs named "smail" and
"pathalias" that are used for these sorts of things.  They are
available from many of the archive sites such as j.cc.purdue.edu if
I recall correctly.

To perform the later, you will need SCO steams (lists for $95) and
SCO TCP/IP runtime (lists for $595).  This includes
ftp/telnet/ftpd/telnetd,smtp mail (rfc822), r-utilities, etc.  One word of
warning is that the back on 27-May-1989 the TCP/IP was in a controlled
release with a known sendmail bug where they would automatically send
an update as soon as it was fixed.  I assume it has already been fixed.
Also, SCO's TCP/IP is available only for 386 with no plans for 286.
I believe you can achieve the same functionality with even better
performance by using the Excelan intelligent ethernet board and software
that can be purchased as a kit, but it probably costs a little more.
The SCO TCP/IP works with only non-intelligent ethernet boards, namely
the 3com 3c501 and Western Digital WD8003 Etherlink+.

ray curci
curci at vsserv.scri.fsu.edu