SCO Xenix 386 and VP/ix

Bob Willey bob at consult.UUCP
Fri Oct 20 10:53:14 AEST 1989

In article <12962 at s.ms.uky.edu> simon at ms.uky.edu (G. Simon Gales) writes:
>Does vp/ix allow users logged in on terminals (vt102, maybe vt220 or vt320)
>to run applications meant for dos?  or do you have to be on the console?
  You can run non-graphics applications from any supported terminal
  and the list of supported terminals is growing

>Can terminal users run more than one dos app at a time?
  Yes, but you have to consider the potential resources you are
  going  to tie up.

>I know a lot of this stuff is available for xenix (see keywords) but I'd
>rather use vp/ix if it'll work the way I want.
  This is not a smart move!!!  Native Xenix applications will run
  faster, more consistent, and be much less impact on the overal
  system, and  require much less resources!!

>What kind of performance do you get when 8-10 users are using vp/ix?
>What about 4-5 users?  I was thinking of either a 25mhz or 33mhz machine
>with 4 or 8 megs of ram.

  Performance for 8-10 users will be poor.  You need a minimum of 2mb
  per user for large applications.  1mb per user is a dead minimum, plus
  2 mb of general resources for VP/ix.  So for 10 users, you are looking
  at 2 + 10*1  = 12mb of ram.   And you will be eating up many many
  cpu cycles!!!   VP/ix is NOT a multiuser DOS environment, but rather
  an environment to run your few DOS applications that will never
  be ported to Xenix.  (IMHO)

Hope this helps.
--
.. Computer Consulting Service     ..      Bob Willey        ..
.. P.O. Drawer 1690                ..    uunet!consult!bob   ..