SCO Xenix 386 and VP/ix

Bruce A. McIntyre bruce at mdi386.UUCP
Wed Oct 18 22:24:12 AEST 1989

In article <12962 at s.ms.uky.edu>, simon at ms.uky.edu (G. Simon Gales) writes:
> Does vp/ix allow users logged in on terminals (vt102, maybe vt220 or vt320)
> to run applications meant for dos?  or do you have to be on the console?
> Can terminal users run more than one dos app at a time?
> I know a lot of this stuff is available for xenix (see keywords) but I'd
> rather use vp/ix if it'll work the way I want.
> What kind of performance do you get when 8-10 users are using vp/ix?
> What about 4-5 users?  I was thinking of either a 25mhz or 33mhz machine
> with 4 or 8 megs of ram.
> Simon Gales at The University of Kentucky
>    simon at ms.uky.edu             | 'Fate... protects fools, little children,
>    simon at UKMA.BITNET            |  and ships named Enterprise.'
>    {rutgers, uunet}!ukma!simon  |                           - Riker, ST:TNG

First of all, you CAN run VP/IX from terminals, and the vt100nam is supported.
They also support wy60 and some others.  However, you need to allocate at
least 1MB of ram for every user of VP/IX, not including xenix kernal, etc.
This means to do 4-5 users, I would recommend 8 megs minimum.  If you want
to use VP/IX, remember that disk I/O will be quite rapid, but compute
intensive tasks will seem to take forever.  For instance, I have a flow
chart program that works just fine for creating the charts, but when trying
to print, the computations to build the image for the laserjet seems to take
forever.  There is a lot of polling going on from DOS as well, and it eats
up a lot of processor time.. My suggestion is to only keep a couple of VP/IX
sessions active at any one time.  However, I am running on a 16MHZ386 box,
so you might get lucky on a 33MHZ386 box.  Terminals can only run one session
of VP/IX as far as I know.
bruce