Multiscreens - which one is active?

Stuart Lynne sl at van-bc.UUCP
Mon Oct 23 15:44:00 AEST 1989

In article <55 at gutarman.UUCP> robert at gutarman.UUCP () writes:
>In article <11 at dynasys.UUCP> jessea at dynasys.UUCP (Jesse W. Asher - Sysadmin.) writes:
>Anyhow, When I log into doug's computer, I usually do a who -u.  The 4th
>coloumn is the "idle" time.  This way, you can tell what the console user
>is doing.  The who -u tells keyboard idleness, so if they are running a
>program, and doing a lot of typing (like lyrix), then the idle time will
>be null.  Hope this helps.  It does get confusing, though.

You can also try things like:

	echo "Hello - please call me" > /dev/mono

this will generally go to the active screen. Of course you will have to
figure out which of /dev/{[cepv]ga,mono} is actually available on your
system.

--
Stuart.Lynne at wimsey.bc.ca ubc-cs!van-bc!sl 604-937-7532(voice) 604-939-4768(fax)