IBM and Apple Operating Systems (Re: dosread.c again)

Rick Richardson rick at pcrat.uucp
Fri Oct 27 00:06:00 AEST 1989

In article <254532d1 at ralf> Ralf.Brown at B.GP.CS.CMU.EDU writes:

>What few people seem to remember is that IBM originally offered a choice
>of THREE operating systems: MSDOS, CPM-86, and UCSD p-System.  Of these,
>MSDOS was not only the cheapest, but also quite compatible with CPM-80,

Yes, I remember.  I ordered the original PC in September of 1981.
I ordered both CPM-86 and MSDOS with the hardware.  But it took about
6 months before my system was delivered.  By that time, the market had
already decided on MSDOS, probably because of the $40 price, and I cancelled
the CPM-86 (about $195?).  Later, in December of 1983, I dropped MSDOS
altogether and switched to Venix/86 ($995, I think, but I traded a Maynard
disk driver for the software).  By then, I had a 10MB hard disk and a
5MB removable Syquest drive.

--
Rick Richardson |       Looking for FAX software for UNIX/386 ??????     mention
PC Research,Inc.|                  WE'RE SHIPPING			 your