IBM and Apple Operating Systems (Re: dosread.c again)

Ralf.Brown at B.GP.CS.CMU.EDU Ralf.Brown at B.GP.CS.CMU.EDU
Wed Oct 25 14:13:05 AEST 1989

In article <6661 at ficc.uu.net>, peter at ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva) wrote:
 >The original system was a poor copy of CP/M, chosen only because it
 >was cheap and IBM was pissed at Digital Research (thanks to some stupidity
 >on the part of Gary Kildall).

What few people seem to remember is that IBM originally offered a choice
of THREE operating systems: MSDOS, CPM-86, and UCSD p-System.  Of these,
MSDOS was not only the cheapest, but also quite compatible with CPM-80,
allowing mechanical translation of 8080 programs (in fact, MSDOS still
supports the CP/M entry point and calling convention).
--
UUCP: {ucbvax,harvard}!cs.cmu.edu!ralf -=-=-=-=- Voice: (412) 268-3053 (school)
ARPA: ralf at cs.cmu.edu  BIT: ralf%cs.cmu.edu at CMUCCVMA  FIDO: Ralf Brown 1:129/46