dosread.c again

Clayton Cramer cramer at optilink.UUCP
Tue Oct 17 06:20:37 AEST 1989

In article <3721 at ast.cs.vu.nl>, ast at cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) writes:
> In article <3a18.2536ede8 at ibmpcug.co.uk> ronald at ibmpcug.co.uk (Ronald Khoo) writes:
> >Does this prove anything ?
>
> Not to me.  My knowledge of DOS is zilch, and will stay that way.  Thus I
> leave the debugging of dosread.c to the net.  Since I never use DOS and do
> not own any DOS files, I don't care much whether it works or not, but if
> there is someone who does care, by all means try it and if there are problems,
> try to fix them.
>
> Andy Tanenbaum

This posting is really the definitive statement of disdain for DOS.
"My knowledge of DOS is zilch, and will stay that way."  For anyone
to make such a statement, along with the contempt shown in the rest
of the posting, provides all the evidence needed that elitism has
a lot more to do with DOS-hatred than anything else.

I'm sure that if DOS weren't used by COMMON PEOPLE, the DOS-haters
would make appropriate criticisms of the many very real deficiencies
of DOS, and leave it at that.  But as long as someone can learn to
use a computer without devoting years of their life to it, the
DOS-haters will remain filled with irrational hatred.
--
Clayton E. Cramer {pyramid,pixar,tekbspa}!optilink!cramer
Human rights are non-negotiable -- respect the Bill of Rights, or you'll soon