dosread.c again

Richard O'Keefe ok at cs.mu.oz.au
Fri Oct 20 23:20:53 AEST 1989

In article <2501 at optilink.UUCP>, cramer at optilink.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) writes:
> I'm sure that if DOS weren't used by COMMON PEOPLE, the DOS-haters
> would make appropriate criticisms of the many very real deficiencies
> of DOS, and leave it at that.  But as long as someone can learn to
> use a computer without devoting years of their life to it, the
> DOS-haters will remain filled with irrational hatred.

Learn to use a computer without devoting years to it?
He must be talking about Macintoshes.
DOS-hatred has a heck of a lot to do with DOS and nothing at all to do
with who uses it.  Common people can be taught how to use UNIX (or MINIX)
quite effectively, as long as you tell them how to do what _they_ want to
do and don't try to make hackers of them.
I just read a review of the Norton Utilities in New Scientist; the author
of the review doesn't appear to be a hacker, but he was raving about being
able to attach meaningful strings to files so that he could tell which of
NSREVA, NSREVB and so on held which review.  "Irrational" hatred?