RFC822 Standard Mail

Wm E Davidsen Jr davidsen at crdos1.crd.ge.COM
Tue Oct 3 07:05:55 AEST 1989

In article <4982 at uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu>, bt455s39 at uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Carmen Hardina) writes:
|  I am running SCO XENIX 386 2.3.1 and would like to exchange mail with
|  an Internet host which runs 4.3-BSD/sendmail.

  You don't need RFC822 if the sendmail is installed correctly. Out mail
gateway gets uucp mail without problems. If what you're trying to do is
speak TCP/IP you will need to get the package from SCO (or Excelan, etc)
and some hardware. You might try running over a serial line (SLIP) which
is in the SCO package. If you want to translate internet style addresses
to uucp you can run smail (archives in uunet) to change the format.

  Other than style there is no reason why you need a new mailer to talk
to sendmail. It will accept the same bang addresses you have been using,
unless someone has removed the capability.
--
bill davidsen	(davidsen at crdos1.crd.GE.COM -or- uunet!crdgw1!crdos1!davidsen)
that the world is flat!" - anon