Telebit and Xenix

Dave Hammond daveh at marob.masa.com
Tue Oct 17 00:08:47 AEST 1989

In article <3551 at hounix.UUCP> chuckb at hounix.UUCP (Chuck Bentley) writes:
>	. If dialTBIT is run with the -z option twice in a row, the
>	  board is locked up.
>
>	. Sometimes the board locks up after incomming traffic has been
>	  processed.
>
>	. It seems that if the system sits dormant while running for a
>	  very long time (3-4 hrs) the board locks up.
>
>Is anyone else having problems, or do I just have a bad board?

You may have a bad board, but -- I too have experienced lock-up problems
using dialTBIT, and, Yes, the local TB+ gurus have said "Gee, it works
for us".  The machine (an Everex 20mhz 386 running 2.3.1) has been setup
to use a TB+ to dial in/out on a single line, coexist with getty, etc.
without dialTBIT and without any problems.

I simply defined a few dialer scripts in the Dialers file, and all works
perfectly.  An example Dialers script sets up the TB+ to dial high-speed
and attempt to open a UUCP-G, compressed connection:

tbfastGC	=W-,	"" A\pA\pA\pT OK ATs0=0s7=100s50=255s111=30s110=0DT\T CONNECT

In the Devices file, this script is invoked when a device called ACU-TBGC
is specified:

ACU-TBGC tty1A - 19200 tbfastGC

In the Systems file, TB+ machines are setup to use the ACU-TBGC device:

machine-name Any ACU-TBGC 19200 555-1212 "" \r in:--in: Umymachine

This scenario can be extended to provide non-protocolled, kermit, slow,
or any other kind of connection you might need.  Just setup the
appropriate scripts in the Dialers file, then call those scripts as
required.

(Of course, the person who turned me on to these tricks is now saying
"gee, 3 months ago he was asking the same questions, now he's answering
them!" -- isn't Usenet wonderful?)

--
Dave Hammond
daveh at marob.masa.com