SCO Unix 3.2 passwords

Jack F. Vogel jackv at turnkey.gryphon.COM
Sun Sep 24 03:31:39 AEST 1989

In article <190 at ssc.UUCP> fyl at ssc.UUCP (Phil Hughes) writes:
>In article <803 at medsys.UUCP>, root at medsys.UUCP (Super user) writes:
>> Has anyone been able to make an account on Unix 3.2 with NO password?
>> This is desirable for anonymous BBS login.

>I haven't touched SCO Unix 3.2 but I don't see why this would
>be a problem.  Just vi /etc/shadow and do as you want.

It is almost this simple, but there is one further change that you must
make under 3.2 in order for it to work. I was really confused for a while
because I would make the shadow entry for nuucp's passwd empty and I
would still get a password prompt even though hitting return would be
sufficient. It turns out that there is a little file: /etc/default/login
which has a line that by default looks like: PASSREQ=YES; this is what
is forcing the prompt. Simply change that to NO and then unpassworded
logins work just fine.

Jack F. Vogel			jackv at seas.ucla.edu
AIX Technical Support	              - or -
Locus Computing Corp.		jackv at ifs.umich.edu