XENIX 2.2.3 and >1024 h.d. cylinders: possible?

Usenet file owner usenet at cps3xx.UUCP
Thu Sep 14 06:35:27 AEST 1989

in article <5563 at seac.UUCP>, wain at seac.UUCP (Wain Dobson) says:

> If it don't work, it's the manufacturers problem, not SCO's. After all,
> which comes first, hardware selection, or software selection.

For people migrating up from a DOS machine with a big disk to XENIX it's
hardware selection.....

Why did the 1024 limit start? Well, the MSDOS defined partition table
layout only allows 10bit cylinder numbers. So I could see if the
machine was going to have DOS and XENIX partitions using the disk to
stick with the MSDOS partition table layout. However, if someone wnated
a XENIX only machine shouldn't XENIX be easily able to do its own
hard disk boot sector to handle a partition table layout that is
different? And since XENIX is contained within one physical partition
that then has logical partitions....

John H. Lawitzke           UUCP: Work: ...uunet!frith!dale1!jhl
Dale Computer Corp., R&D         Home: ...uunet!frith!dale1!ipecac!jhl
2367 Science Parkway       Internet:   jhl at frith.egr.msu.edu
Okemos, MI, 48864                             [35.8.8.108]