XENIX 2.2.3 and >1024 h.d. cylinders: possible?

Usenet file owner usenet at cps3xx.UUCP
Sat Sep 16 05:55:35 AEST 1989

in article <245 at bahamut.fsc.com>, jim at bahamut.fsc.com (James O'Connor) says:

> I have a CDC ESDI drive with 1224 cylinders.  I used a version of Disk Manager
> that supports drives > 1024 clylinders to create
> a DOS partition > 200 cylinders (I don't remember how many exactly) so that
> the each of the two partitions (DOS and Xenix) were less than 1024
> cylinders.
>
> Then I installed DOS on the DOS partition, Xenix on the other and everything
> works just dandy.  Granted, when I run FDISK under DOS to look at the
> partition table it reports funny numbers, but DIR still reports the 30MB or
> so of space in the DOS partition.  No problem for me.

I did a similar tweek with a PRIAM 519 and a WD1006 using HARDRIVE.SYS
from SpeedStor. I works fine but (1) I had to boot DOS from a floppy as
'dos' at the ':' prompt wouldn't find the area. (2) doscp wouldn't
see the DOS partition on the disk.

As a side note, OS/2 1.1's FDISK still has the silly 1024 limit. One
wonders how much longer DOS will continue to anchor us down. (This is a
rhetorical question, please don't waste net-bandwidth with a response)

On the XENIX/DOS coexistence topic, lately, I've been running XENIX on a
Toshiba MK156 (?) 147MB SCSI drive completely devoted to XENIX. I then
do any DOS development work using VP/ix. There are a few minor quirks
with the way VP/ix works, but overall this method of working seems to be
working out fine. It also has the added advantage that all my DOS work
gets backed up when I back up my XENIX work.

John H. Lawitzke           UUCP: Work: ...uunet!frith!dale1!jhl
Dale Computer Corp., R&D         Home: ...uunet!frith!dale1!ipecac!jhl
2367 Science Parkway       Internet:   jhl at frith.egr.msu.edu
Okemos, MI, 48864                             [35.8.8.108]