Ideal PC terminal program for use with Xenix/Unix?

Wm E Davidsen Jr davidsen at crdos1.crd.ge.COM
Thu Sep 28 02:24:28 AEST 1989

In article <22233 at looking.on.ca>, brad at looking.on.ca (Brad Templeton) writes:

|  The following things would be desirable
|  	a) speed -- support 9600 bps on a PC.  (19.2 would be nice,
|  		but I have yet to see one that will do this on
|  		a PC, other than by lots of buffering and ctrl-s)

  That's the easy one... standard Kermit does this very well. People
claim to go 38.4 without flow control, I can only speak to 19.2, but I
haven't had any problems on a "real" PC (4.77MHz).

|  	b) multiscreens

|  	c) scancode mode -- like a WYSE, so that it can be used with
|  		vp/ix etc.

  At this point you may want to consider either a terminal designed for
the job or one of those neat optical fiber links which allow you to have
a DOS and Xenix session running via hotkey.

|  	d) Some efficient smart mode that has a standard termcap.  While
|  	   ANSI would be nice, I would rather have a usable non-ansi that
|  	   goes 19.2 or 9600 than an ANSI that goes more slowly.

  Kermit.

|  	e) The ability to map \ to shift for those good feeling, but

  No idea.
--
bill davidsen	(davidsen at crdos1.crd.GE.COM -or- uunet!crdgw1!crdos1!davidsen)
that the world is flat!" - anon