SCO Unix SysV 3.2

Wm E Davidsen Jr davidsen at crdos1.crd.ge.COM
Fri Sep 29 01:52:51 AEST 1989

In article <3428 at questar.QUESTAR.MN.ORG>, jeff at questar.QUESTAR.MN.ORG (Jeff Holmes) writes:

|  		I know that you need Xenix 386GT to get SCSI support
|  		and that 386GT also supports ESDI, but will 386AT
|  		also support ESDI or do you need the GT version to
|  		get any non-standard interface support?

  There are several controllers for ESDI which look just like AT flavor
controllers and allow you to run standard AT Xenix/386. The Western
Digital is one, I *think* the number is 1007. Dell uses one in their
310/325 series (on which I type this).

  If money is a problem they also make the WD1006VSR2 RLL controller.
This has hardware track buffering and gives about the same performance
as the ESDI models, with cheaper hardware. If you need a lot of disk
ESDI is probably your best best.

--
bill davidsen	(davidsen at crdos1.crd.GE.COM -or- uunet!crdgw1!crdos1!davidsen)
that the world is flat!" - anon