SCO Unix vs ICS vs Xenix

Larry Snyder larry at nstar.UUCP
Fri Sep 29 08:54:12 AEST 1989

> I have contacted several people on private personal opinion on comparing
> between Xenix and SCO UNIX on performance and price.  Now I am trying to
> find out between SCO Unix and ICS 386/xi 2.0+.   I am told that SCO Unix
> is slower or more clumsy than Xenix and couple of SCO Unix owners are so
> UNempressing with SCO Unix performance.   Some said the kernel is too
> big and using too much memory that don't allow enough memory for
> X-sight.   I have the latest verison Xenix and ICS 386/ix and they are

Did you see the review between the two in Unix Review?

> different on size and performance but I am curious about SCO Unix vs ICS
> 386/ix.   One person is saying that ICS 386/ix is better product than
> new SCO Unix but I can not tell if he already test with 386/ix.
> I am still checking on upgrade cost.  I think upgrade cost could be too
> expensive that this is rather close to distributor's price on buying brand
> new SCO Unix.  There are two difference choice, 2 users and unlimited
> users.   I think 2 users product is a rip off because I have past experience
> with 2 users version.  If I add mouse in one port or run another virtual

I agree with the 2 users version being a rip (in my case at least).  ISC
is buggy and the only support available is that via Usenet.  The office in
Hollis NH is all screwed up with the technical support team not properly
trained and having a bad record of not returning telephone calls.  The Hollis
office wasn't even aware of the X5 kernel upgrade kit that has been available
for the last 3 weeks.  Stay away from ISC unless you have a lot of time to
invest playing with the OS and finding out how it really works.  Forget the
ISC manuals - they are the pits - I mean real bad.  Hopefully SCO is marketing
their excellent Xenix manuals that have been re-written for Unix.

> SCO Product Support have improved quiet a bit over a year ago and I am
> very please with fast response and I think SCO is good reputation as
> being old and stable company on Unix for micros.  Major disadvantage is
> really high prices.    ICS is agressive company with good effortable
> discount on Unix close to real System V standard but is rather flaky on
> fixing products.

After contacting Kodak with my ISC complaints - they basically said that
ISC is "on their own and we are sorry for any problems".   Calls to Mr.
Kurt Lynn (who is in charge of the Hollis office) were never returned.
Again - I would suggest staying away from ISC.

Personally my plans are to wait for SCO 3.2 to be refined over the next
year and maybe upgrading next summer.

--
Larry Snyder                               uucp:iuvax!ndcheg!ndmath!nstar!larry
The Northern Star Usenet Distribution Site                   Notre Dame, IN USA