SCO Unix vs ICS vs Xenix

Willy Paine paine at fungus.dec.com
Fri Sep 29 09:23:13 AEST 1989

>Performance in what area?  Disk speed? Floating point speed?  Serial I/O
>handling?

I wish I get more information from other Xenix owners but I assume they
are using normal or standard computer.

>Both SCO UNIX and Xsight say that 4 MB is the MINIMUM recommended memory
>configuration.  It has been my experience that the minimums SCO recommends
>are the absolute minimums that you should even consider.  You should have
>more.  I found that even running XENIX 4 MB was not really enough memory
>if you are running large programs (like GNU Emacs) concurrently with Xsight.

I agree with you.  In my office, I am running DECstation 3100 "Pmax"
using 24 megB memory with DECwindow (X-windows)!!   I have 5 megB memory
in my Compaq 386/20 and I will need new board.   I don't really know how to
get more memory for this machine and Compaq does not make this machine
anymore.  Dealer want to talk about selling new computer only.  What
hardware do you have?

Does Xsight work on newest Xenix/386?

willy