SCO customer service

Karl Denninger karl at ddsw1.MCS.COM
Sat Sep 2 04:13:07 AEST 1989

In article <1009 at polari.UUCP> corwin at polari.UUCP (Don Glover) writes:
>I would like to know if anyone has had any GOOD experiences with
>service from SCO?  I have been using SCO Xenix for 6 months now and
>have encountered numerous problems with the development system.  I
>recently called to check on an upgrade and have received the most
>obnoxiuos amount of runaround you could ever imagine.   The fail to
>return calls, they tried to sell me a 2.3 development system for
>the 286, a piece of software that does not exist and has no scheduled
>release date.  On top of this they are charging phenomenal amounts of
>money, so much in fact it may well be less exepnsive to move to
>a different vendor!
>
>Don Glover, the younger

I can't agree with this sentiment.

We have had our problems with SCO Xenix, yes.  But SCO has _always_, and I
do repeat -- Always -- come up with either a work-around or a bug fix.  When
it's a question of a bug, that fix has been provided at _no charge_.

The latest incantation of this was with some strange problems we were
experiencing with panics while using two disk controllers.  They sent us
another "oem.o" file for the kernel link kit -- and I've only had two since
(and both of those are questionable - they may have been due to flaky
power).  The original problem has not returned (this is not to say it won't
-- just that it hasn't yet :-)   They have, however, been exemplary when it
comes to response, they DO return our calls at the time set (they set an
appointment for us, and ALWAYS keep it), and in general are quite good at
getting problems resolved.

Granted, we don't bother them with the little things.  We only complain
(and loudly) when there is something seriously broken that we can't work
around without their help.  I don't expect 100% bug-free operation, 90% will
do fine if the other 10% are either able to be worked around by ourselves or
in the case of a serious problem, the vendor will fix it within a reasonable
time frame.

Why don't you list your complaints, the trouble numbers that SCO has
assigned, and any resolutions you have received?  That would help a lot.

Finally, consider doing business with a VAR.  Places like ours (and there
are lots of us) can field many of the complaints ourselves, and we have some
weight in getting things resolved -- not to mention somehow not having the
difficulties with their support organization you have described!

--
Karl Denninger (karl at ddsw1.MCS.COM, <well-connected>!ddsw1!karl)
Public Access Data Line: [+1 312 566-8911], Voice: [+1 312 566-8910]