Xenix Compiler

G. Geers [ext 3241] glenn at extro.ucc.su.oz
Mon Sep 11 09:47:33 AEST 1989

In article <1024 at polari.UUCP> corwin at polari.UUCP writes: "... getting a
'Compiler Error (Internal) : infinite spill'. ..."

I have had this error message and like you I could not find any documentation.
However, have a look on the line indicated and you will probably find soemthing
like:
		a = foo[a++];

or perhaps the assignment of a struct to an array of structs using an element
of the struct as the array index, e.g.

typedef fred struct {
			int a;
			char *p;
			};

			fred *f;
			char ad[20];

			f->p = ad[f->a++];

This can be rectified by judicious use of temporary variables. Note that this
doesn't happen in small model where sizeof(int *) = sizeof(int). I have *never*
seen it on our 386.
The real problem is when this happens in the control variable of a for loop -
it can be a real pain.

I wonder if you could send me the code fragment or tell me what program you
are playing with (if its pd I might have it and the fix).

The problem also occured much more frequently with 2.1.X DS.

	Hope this helps,
				Glenn

glenn at extro.ucc.su.oz

p.s. Have you read "Nine Princes in Amber" ? If yes then maybe you can tell me
	if the 4th book in the 2nd series has been released yet.