Windowing system

Terry Hull terry at tah386.manhattan.ks.us
Thu Sep 21 13:21:30 AEST 1989

In article <609 at fiver.UUCP> palowoda at fiver.UUCP (Bob Palowoda) writes:
>From article <4415 at udccvax1.acs.udel.EDU>, by conan at vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Robert B Carroll):

>> I used Windows for Data, Windows for C where is used to work.
>> I don't know how much it costs.
>
>  I think it cost around 800.00. I wouldn't consider it low priced.
Me either.

>You would think with X-windows the price would drop on such a product.

Why?  The X Window system does not compete with Windows for Data.  X is
a network transparent windowing system for bitmapped displays.  Windows for
C and Windows for data constitute a protable windowing system for data
entry on character based displays.  Further, X does not provide the
facilites for data entry into a database system.  You would need Windows
for Data in conjunction with X not instead of X.

--
Terry Hull
Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Kansas State University