tape drive formats

Paul Gillingwater paul at csnz.co.nz
Mon Sep 18 08:13:45 AEST 1989

Hi,
	We just installed a 150 Mb Mountain tape drive as an upgrade to a
60 Mb tape drive into a customer site running SCO Xenix.  Then we found out
that they regularly exchange tapes with other sites who still have 60 Mb
drives -- only now they can't.  Obviously one cannot read an XTD cartridge
in a low density drive, so we tried a standard DC600A.  The FM says that
ordinary DC600's can be used, but they're formatted in double density,
to achieve 120 Mb capacity.  Does anyone know a way of forcing tar or
the drive itself to use only 60 Mb, so that it can be read by an
ordinary 60 Mb drive?

echo "thanks" >/dev/advance

--
Paul Gillingwater, Computer Sciences of New Zealand Limited
Domain: paul at csnz.co.nz  Bang: uunet!vuwcomp!dsiramd!csnz!paul