ports, ports, and more ports.

UseNet Id. usenet at carssdf.UUCP
Mon Sep 11 06:31:30 AEST 1989

In article <1989Sep8.200323.294 at ka3ovk.uucp>, albers at ka3ovk.uucp (Jon Albers) writes:
> How many ports do you have on your system?  Most of the multi-port boards I
> have seen are up to 16 ports.  Is that a limit for SCO XENIX/386 2.3.1?  I

I just installed the Computone Cluster with 2 16-Port boxes.  No Trouble.
Just follow instructions.  The RJ45 telephone connectors are GREAT.  Never
again spending 15 min each crimping pins one at a time.   I did have to make
some short adapter cables to connect devices that were on the older Advantage
boards that I took out.  Only caveat,  It took me a few hours to figure out
that using the WY60's, the XON-XOFF has more margin for error.  If you prefer
to use DTR/CTSFLOW, then code the lines as "DEVICE",  you will see in
the instructions.  It is realy no problem.  The WY60 in DTR Handshake mode
is extermely intollerant of extra characters after ready is droped.

You put one board in the CPU Box,  Then cable up to 4  16-port boxes into
that, using clip in cables for each.  Start with one or two and add more,
WITHOUT OPENING UP THE CPU!  Some of these boxes, like the Texas Inst are
miserable to get in and out of.

John Watson     (Self Empl.)
...!rutgers!carssdf!usenet