lost bell, can I get it back?

Warren Tucker wht at tridom.uucp
Tue Sep 12 06:58:49 AEST 1989

In article <207353 at neabbs.UUCP>, richard at neabbs.UUCP (RICHARD RONTELTAP) writes:
> [ Bell (sound) disappears when switching multiscreen during the beep ]
>
> I'd like to know this one very much too.
>
> For us it is a some-what-more-than-minor annoyance, because the
> operator at the console needs to be paged by modem users.
>
> Richard
> (...!hp4nl!neabbs!richard)

I didn't see the original posting, but I assume you are using SCO XENIX
version 2.2.x or before.  I had a similar problem with 286 2.2.1, but
don't find it with 386 2.3.1.  The problem manifested itself here whenever
I was switching between multiscreens _during_ the bell beep.  I used setcolor
to lengthen the bell period, thus it was a real pain.  I never found a way
to recover the bell without rebooting.  A sort of workaround: use setcolor
on _EVERY_ multiscreen (i.e., at .profile or .login time) to _shorten_ the
bell period.  This reduces but doesn't eliminate the failure mode.