File Compression Utilities wanted

Bruce A. McIntyre bruce at mdi386.UUCP
Sun Sep 17 00:08:45 AEST 1989

In article <1050 at orbit.UUCP>, vemis at pnet51.orb.mn.org (Jeff Mo) writes:
> rocchi at ziebmef.mef.org (Paul Rocchi) writes:
> >Does anybody out there have the name (or source) for a good UNIX/XENIX file
> >compression utility?  One known to work harmelessly with Informix database
> >files would be appreciated.   Thanks in advance.
> SCO Xenix 2.3 386 has a compress program that works _very_ well
> (lots of compression), which we have used for all types of files,
> including Informix and executables.  We often will compress, send
> to a customer's remote site via uucp and then uncompress.  Sum
> always matches.

I have also used the Xenix compress/uncompress facility.  I have passed
files to and from a variety of machines.  I have sent Xenix compressed files
to Unisys, Arix, AT&T systems, running PD compress, and had no trouble
either way.  The PD compress utility seems just as fast as the Xenix one.

I have tried some of the other ones, but found that I can send compress
source via UUCP, compile, and then send other files to be extracted with
very little chance of problems.
bruce