XENIX 2.2.3 and >1024 h.d. cylinders: possible?

RICHARD RONTELTAP richard at neabbs.UUCP
Thu Sep 14 02:45:45 AEST 1989

[ > 1024 cylinders ]

We use a Newbury 1224 cylinder disk with SCO XENIX 2.2.3 and WD 1005
ESDI controller.

The 'solution' to use the extra cylinders is so standard that I hardly
dare to suggest it.

Anyway, we just set up our BIOS to some drive type with the right
number of heads, but less cylinders. (BIOS limit is 10 bits). Then,
when installing XENIX, use the dkinit program to set the correct
drive parameters. Works fine here.

Again, this may not work with de WD 1007 or other controllers, but you
never know.

Richard
(...!hp4nl!neabbs!richard)