XENIX 2.2.3 and >1024 h.d. cylinders: possible?

Ross Oliver rosso at sco.COM
Thu Sep 14 04:26:11 AEST 1989

In article <13569 at well.UUCP> whofan at well.UUCP (Brian Lawrence Dear) writes:
>Well, we finally got a second hard disk for our AST Premium/386 20mHz
>machine.  We got a CDC WREN V, 1224 cylinders, 15 heads.  Now,
>we got it up and running, and fdisk says it's got 308000 blocks, or about
>317 megabytes, which is right, but the XENIX kernel or something will
>only let us get at the first 1024 cylinders (indeed, if that many).

SCO XENIX 2.2 and above has no problem using disks larger than 1024
cylinders.  However, if you must share the disk with MS-DOS, you will
be limited to 1024, because that is as much as MS-DOS understands.
Another limitation may be your CMOS setup table, which may not have
a disk entry large enough for your disk.  If that is the case, use the
entry that is closest, then during XENIX installation (or using the
dparam(ADM) utility), alter the default disk parameters to match your
hard disk.

Ross Oliver
Technical Support
The Santa Cruz Operation, Inc.