XENIX 2.2.3 and >1024 h.d. cylinders: possible?

Wain Dobson wain at seac.UUCP
Thu Sep 14 02:59:55 AEST 1989

In article <751 at pmafire.UUCP> rickf at pmafire.UUCP (Rick Furniss) writes:
>      My manual or (release notes), state that SCO Unix3.2 has a 1024 cylinder
>limit still. !   If SCO Unix3.2 can handle more than 1024 cylinders, then they
>better get it clarified, or in thier manuals.

SCO is quite clear that SCO UNIX 3.2 does not support greater than
1024 cylinders. If you want to use a drive that has greater than
1024 cylinders, then you ought to purchase a controller such as, the
WD1007 or DTC 6280 (ESDI) if you are running ESDI, and have
the controller bios redefine the disk parameters (cylinder,head,sectors)
which SCO uses. How a particular controller redefines the greater than
1024 cylinder disk is the responsibility of the controller manufacturer.
If it don't work, it's the manufacturers problem, not SCO's. After all,
which comes first, hardware selection, or software selection.

--
Wain Dobson, Vancouver, B.C.
	...!{uunet,ubc-cs}!van-bc!seac!wain