File Compression Utilities wanted

Len Reed lbr at holos0.uucp
Sat Sep 16 07:00:10 AEST 1989

In article <158 at egrunix.UUCP> srodawa at unix.secs.oakland.edu.UUCP (Ronald Srodawa) writes:
=In article <1989Sep12.123616.18152 at ziebmef.mef.org> rocchi at ziebmef.mef.org (Paul Rocchi) writes:

=>Does anybody out there have the name (or source) for a good UNIX/XENIX file
=>compression utility?
=
=Compress, a widely available unix utility, compiles targeted for xenix systems
=as an option.  It is widely available by means of anonymous ftp from several
=sites.  I don't remember where I got mine, but try uunet.uu.net and
=tut.cis.ohio-state.edu for starters.

Compress/uncompress/zcat is part of the 386 Xenix release.  It was not part
of the earlier 286 versions, we traded up to 386 so I don't know if SCO
is shipping compress with the 286 system.

Compress comes with the net-news package, too.

Compress will work far better than pack with database files, since such
files typically have repeating fields.
--
Len Reed
Holos Software, Inc.