Computone + modem = ?

Frank Bicknell frankb at usource.UUCP
Fri Sep 8 23:14:11 AEST 1989

Hi all.

I've recently installed a Computone ATvantage 8$ board on a
client's machine.  They were also upgraded to 2.3.1, as I was
hoping to be able to use HDB uucp and the "working"
bi-directional getty.

I've used the Xenix 2.3.1 with COM[12] ports and it works like a
charm: no questions there.

Normally, when there is a process (such as getty) "live" on the
port, the DTR signal is asserted to the modem.  When that process
dies (like when a user logs off or the port is disabled), the DTR
drops.  This behavior is very nice in that it automatically
shuts off the auto answer mode of the modem, forces a hangup, and
also resets the modem (like ATZ would) next time DTR comes up.

However, when I tried it with the Computone board, I experience
the following "funny stuff."

Assuming a disabled port, when the machine is booted, DTR
remains off (so far so good).  Now, I enable the port, and DTR
comes on (great so far).  However, when I disable the port or
kill getty (same thing, sorta), DTR remains on!  I check 'ps'
and the getty is indeed dead; no other processes have that tty
ensnared.

Well, I called Computone, and they said, "Oh, you need the new
firmware and drivers," which they promptly sent free of charge
(thank you, Computone).  However, the thing behaves in exactly
the same way.  Now their tech support says, "gee everyone else's
works right...  let's see if we can reproduce it here."  Well,
that's been about a week and nothing so far.  Meantime the modem
sits there.

So, I ask you collectively: am I doing something wrong or is this
a little-publicised problem with the 8$ board?
--
Frank Bicknell
UniSource; 1405 Main St, Ste 709; Sarasota, FL 34236