Computone + modem = ?

Larry Snyder root at nstar.UUCP
Sat Sep 9 22:43:44 AEST 1989

In article <234 at usource.UUCP>, frankb at usource.UUCP (Frank Bicknell) writes:
> Assuming a disabled port, when the machine is booted, DTR
> remains off (so far so good).  Now, I enable the port, and DTR
> comes on (great so far).  However, when I disable the port or
> kill getty (same thing, sorta), DTR remains on!  I check 'ps'
> and the getty is indeed dead; no other processes have that tty
> ensnared.
>
> Well, I called Computone, and they said, "Oh, you need the new
> firmware and drivers," which they promptly sent free of charge
> (thank you, Computone).  However, the thing behaves in exactly
> the same way.  Now their tech support says, "gee everyone else's
> works right...  let's see if we can reproduce it here."  Well,
> that's been about a week and nothing so far.  Meantime the modem
> sits there.

I am using the Intelliport AT8 and had the same problems until
installing the new drivers and firmware.  Have you checked your
cable wiring?  Are 8 & 20 crossed, 2 & 3 crossed and 1, 4, 5, and
7 straight through to the modem?

Make sure you are using the ports for dialout (/usr/lib/uucp/Devices)
as ttyi00 - since inbound calls will be using the port at ttym00
(if you have it set up for modem support which waits until CD
goes high before sending data out the port).

Did you change anything in your /etc/ic_control file?  I ended
up changing the buffers to 50% on the modem ports.

Also, check your modem to make sure you are not enabling the modem
to provide DTR.  If you disconnect the serial line will DTR
drop?  If you run /etc/ic_init will DTR drop (it does for me for
a second or two than comes back up).

--
Larry Snyder                                              SCO Xenix 2.3.2 '386
uucp: iuvax!ndcheg!ndmath!nstar!larry                Computone Intelliport AT8