Computone + modem = ?

Larry Snyder root at nstar.UUCP
Sun Sep 10 08:15:41 AEST 1989

I bought the board and also have been having problems.  Friday
I received a new set of firmware and 4.40 drivers which seem to have
corrected most of the problems - except from time to time after
using a port for an outbound call, the port will no longer accept
incoming calls.  I just got done adding:
  diasable ttym01
  sleep 2
  enable ttym01
in my calling scripts after the poll is completed and hopefully this
will solve my problems

> 	1. A Computone port which is used for dial in and dial out
> will not restart the dial in getty once it has been used for dial
> out.  uucp terminates and the port just sits there with dtr low.
> Real useful.  Of course, things work perfectly with a com port.

Same problem (see above).

> 	2. A user connected to the system via a Computone port at a
> slower speed ( <4800bps ) will get about a full screen page of text
> after using the interrupt key.  This should (and does on a comm port)
> immediately abort output and flush buffers, but doesn't on a Computone
> port.
>
> 	3. When a Computone port is used on a dial in line, that may
> experience much traffic, noisy lines, modems that won't 'sync' up,
> etc., it is likely that such a port will eventually die (can't kill
> it, can't disable it) or end up with several getty's sitting on it,
> any one of which can't be killed unless (sometimes) you start with the
> newest one first and work your way backwards.  In either scenario,
> issuing an '/etc/ic_init -please' which reinits the ports at the
> Computone driver level, will then allow you to kill the processes that
> wouldn't kill before.  This one is particularly aggravating, because
> the ic_init will change some stty settings on ports that are working
> correctly, upsetting what other users may have going on.

The other problems haven't developed as of yet - but then I have
only been running 2.3.2 and 4.40 drivers since Friday.  I have an
RMA to return the board and replace it with a Digiboard (for an additional
$100) but I am hoping I can get these problems fixed.

--
Larry Snyder                                              SCO Xenix 2.3.2 '386
uucp: iuvax!ndcheg!ndmath!nstar!larry                Computone Intelliport AT8